Read essex chronicle online b2 dating site contact number
Last Chance To Read makes available a searchable collection of thousands of pages of scarce British and Irish newspapers and other publications, most of which were printed between the years 17.
The name "Last Chance To Read" was chosen to highlight the scarcity of the content.
A registered charity producing and distributing weekly audio recordings for blind and partially sighted people in the Chelmsford area.
Volunteers at Chelmsford Talking Newspaper read and record a version of the Essex Chronicle each week. We make a 90 minute recording onto USB mp3 sticks of the local news and events.
Pages 298-303A History of the County of Essex: Volume 9, the Borough of Colchester. £10 to play there regularly for five weeks from the end of October. 30) In 1764 the corporation granted the company a 99-year lease at £12 a year of part of the moot hall yard on which to build a theatre for their exclusive use. 31) The building, financed by subscription, measured . In 1812 Strutt opened a new theatre, later the Theatre Royal, seating . In 1878 the run-down building was bought and refurbished by the brothers Edwin, Henry, and John Nunn and their partner Daniel Vale. A major modernization programme, begun in 1990, introduced video and audio-visual equipment to illustrate different events in the town's history. 59) The corporation in 1929 opened Charles Gray's house, Hollytrees, acquired with the castle, as a museum of later antiquities. 60) In 1991 its collection included 18th- and 19th-century costumes, needlework, tools, and toys, and the 17th-century plaster ceiling of a former High Street house.
By selecting the page or document you want to download, these will appear in your "shopping cart" and on payment being completed, they will be available for you to download to your computer. 1860 music halls were held in the Colin Campbell, later the Gaiety, public house in Mersea Road; they continued into the 20th century. 43) From 1926 the Albert Hall in High Street was used as a theatre by the amateur Colchester Stage Society and from 1937 to 1971 by the professional Colchester Repertory Company. 44) In 1969 the Colchester New Theatre Trust was formed and in one year raised £62,000 towards the cost of a new theatre to be built in the garden of the old rectory house of St. With help from the borough council and a grant from the Arts Council the Mercury Theatre, designed by Norman Downie, was built at a cost of £260,000. In 1959 it closed and the building was used as a warehouse; it was demolished in 1971. 52) The Regal, opened in Crouch Street in 1931, was designed in Spanish style by the cinema architect Cecil Massey, and was the headquarters of Ager's Cinema Circuit Ltd. 53) In 1937 it was owned by the County circuit, in which Oscar Deutsch, who had opened the chain of Odeon theatres, had a controlling interest, and in 1938 it was acquired and renamed the Odeon. in 1922 and screened Colchester's first talking picture. The Gaumont British Picture Corporation acquired it in 1927 and renamed it the Empire.In 1763 Gray and Philip Morant bought travel books and the works of contemporary authors such as Addison, Newton, Swift, Voltaire, and Montesquieu with a £100 legacy. 71) Among several other 19th-century subscription libraries and reading rooms were the Colchester Library established in High Street in 1803, the Conservative reading room in Head Street in 1825, a reading room in the Three Cups by 1840, the Co-operative Society reading room in Culver Street . Catchpool, formerly of Colchester, left £1,000 to the corporation towards the cost of a free public lending library to be built within five years of his death. 76) In 1892 the corporation opened short-lived reading rooms in Lexden, Mile End, Old Heath, and Parsons Heath, (fn. A neo-Georgian building was designed by Marshall Sisson; it was built by Henry Everett and Sons with bricks made in their Land Lane yard and was almost complete in 1939, when it was requisitioned for use as a food office. The Colchester and Essex Lawn Tennis Club was formed .In 1788 new purchases by the book club committee included the works of David Hume and Adam Smith. 69) The club continued in 1873 but was not recorded thereafter; its collection of 959 volumes passed into the care of the public library in 1920. 70) In 1786 William Keymer advertised a subscription library with . 1861, a library in the Public Hall, High Street, by 1855, and the Liberal reading room in 1863. 72) A library in the garrison in 1856, which included French and German books, was apparently well used by the military. 73) Headgate chapel ran a book society in 1878, (fn. 77) but the main library was not opened until 1894. 1861, leased part of the old barrack ground in 1865, moving to Cambridge Road in 1878 and to Castle park in 1908. 89) Colchester Town Football Club was founded in 1873, (fn. 1970, but sold it in 1991 to the borough council, which leased it back to the club for three years. 94) Colchester Swimming Club was established in 1884; members swam in the river Colne until 1932, after which they used the borough's swimming pools; sessions were also held in the garrison pool from the 1960s. 95) Colchester Rovers Cycling Club was formed in 1891; cycle races were held on the recreation ground. 96) Colchester Bowling Club started in 1902 at Lewis Gardens off Queen Street; it moved to Castle park in 1961.